Friday, March 4, 2011

Guest speakers fron the Calgary Catholic Board

Build 21century learning environments

-supporting one another in our practice
 -supporting teachers
-going from the classic lecturer to listener to active collaboration 
-Aisi = Alberta government help for teachers
-searching vs research
I love the term elbow partners, very creative way of saying turn to the people beside you. 
I am pleased to hear that the government did not cut this program completely, though a 50% drop in funding is substantial. The Literacy and numeracy is exactly what my partner teacher was trying to tell me when I was doing my practicum; they are beyond the subjects of Math or English just concentrating on the skills. Need to use technology to support tasks that are interesting. I love the commercial that one of the speakers ended with to illustrate the point that technology can only be used when it makes sense. The man kills a fly with his ipad and smashes the ipad far worse than the fly.
I love the points the speaker is making about the loss of skills in handwriting and wrist and finger strength. I noticed it in my first practicum and especially when I tried to get the students to sew a Christmas craft that I remember doing in grade 3. I was working with grade 5 students and they could not sew for the life of them; the project took all day. If someone had worked on fine motor skills when they were younger or even if I had thought to do some work before then it would have helped them to be more successful.

Be Positive!

I was unaware that showing library movies was illegal in the classroom.I really appreciated the link to the movie data base.

1 comment:

  1. Lara,
    "Be Positive!", I love your statement and couldn't agree more. Attitude and relationships are what build an amazing classroom environment for student learning. As a former primary teacher I can agree that things are changing regarding fine motor skills and that we need to encourage our students to have balance and experience a variety of means to communicate so that they do develop some of those skills. I really appreciate your Christmas Craft experience as I have worked with 7 and 8 yr. olds to sew and weave, what an experience. For me it was very exhausting but joyful to see their eyes light up when they got it, or the idea that they had discovered something new...

    One of your comments referred to the "elbow partner". We have used many strategies some of which have come from the Adaptive Schools sessions many of our teachers participated in during this past year. I am including a link to the main website. http://adaptiveschools.com/aspublications.htm
    The Junior High Handout we had at the session includes the bibliography information for the book we used.
    I wish you the best as your move forward and join this amazing profession. Enjoy learning with your students and as you stated, "Be Positive"
    Melina Akins

    ReplyDelete