Friday, April 15, 2011

Professional Growth Plan

It seems strange and sad to be at the end of this road with no direction to go on from here. I am so worried about finding a job that I would be willing to do whatever to secure one. I suppose that everyone is feeling this; we went in at a time when all you had to do was graduate and you were hired. Now, everything is so uncertain. I might have to move to another province or country or even choose a new profession(even if I don't want to). It is hard to think positively about goals when the most important thing to me right now is finding a job and paying my bills.


Goal1: To take care of my body
I have been on the weight roller coaster ever since I started school. I cant seem to find the balance between healthy eating and getting enough exercise. I have to lose at least 25 pounds and though it really isn't that much weight I can really feel it effect my self esteem. I know that I will get into shape; I like to do things and see different places. I have started to do Yoga and I find that I really connect with the ideals and messages the practice portrays. I have been trying to do it everyday for at least 15 min. After I feel wonderful and refreshed. I would say that to fulfill this goal I would like to make Yoga and some other sort of sport or active recreation my criteria for fulfilling this goal.  
Goal2: Apply to every job that I see an opening for
I stalk the apply to education site and I mark the jobs but I have not applied to as many as I would like. Sometimes I see the requisites and think "well that's not me", but I cant afford to do that. I have to advocate for myself because no one else will. To achieve this goal I need to write a neutral cover letter that I can save and change as needed. I then need to take advantage of as many job opportunities that I can.
Goal 3: Learn French
I noticed that most of the student teachers who had a second or third language got hired right away. Also that there are many positions for French teachers all over the country. By learning French I can make myself more valuable to hire and widen my opportunities. I will have to take a few French courses and that may take time. I should look into the prices and availabilities of these courses so I know what to expect. Obviously the completion of this goal would be when I can speak, read, and write well enough in French to teach in an elementary setting. This will be the hardest goal because it takes me a long time to conjugate verbs or even to understand how to conjugate them. But because I know it will be difficult for me I get a better understanding for the students who also struggle with grammar and punctuation. 
Goal 4: Teach at least 1 inquiry project with personal feedback in my first year of teaching
I have learnt so much these past 2 years about pedagogy. I have struggled overcoming the ways I was taught to do things to help my students find their own way. After learning so much about inquiry and different assessment techniques how could I not use them? How I accomplish this goal will depend on what grade I teach, what my class is interested in, and how much time I have for the process.  I cant say that it will be in the next year, but maybe in the next 5 years when  I get a job.     

No comments:

Post a Comment