Thursday, January 20, 2011

Technology and Me


I have always been comfortable with technology. In my practicum I used the smart board for attendance and for Math and Literacy questions and assignments.The Smart board was pretty much always on and I thought that it did benefit the students to have daily interaction with this particular technology. I think that students need to be very literate in these different tools because they will be used as stepping stones for other systems that haven't been invented yet;just like when I was younger and used the Macintosh computers to play the Recycling game or practiced typing. Having said that, there are aspects of technology that I do not like. I feel that the way we use technology is very irresponsible. We have made our society more reliant on the unknown and the fast-food model of consumption. The idea of "I want it , and I want it NOW!" is just being reinforced so that potential consequences have no time to be reflected upon. Another concern for me is that though people are using technology, not many of them understand how and why it works. Who can actually build a computer from scratch? I know I cant and I have taken Computer tech. courses. Is this the right way to deal with a potentially powerful societal tool?   

No comments:

Post a Comment