Friday, January 28, 2011

Visit from Neil Stephenson

"Inquiry is how you think about the topics that you teach." 
                                                             -Neil Stephenson
I was really impressed with Neil as a speaker and the information he provided for the class. I was really interested in the Calgary Science School as a school and their modus operandi. I loved how they decided against expanding into two schools or a high school because they wanted to maintain their small status and focus on  perfecting their teaching skills to help others. I was not surprised that there are 3/4 more boy's at the school than girl's, but I was disappointed. 
 I really agreed with what he had to say about the inquiry procedure. I really liked how Neil made a point to discuss the fact that many teachers think that just having the technology in their classroom will help. I love that it is not about the technology; it is about the thought that goes behind the task that the teacher decides how to use the tools and why. He also reiterated the fact that teachers have to balance the fine line between  teacher centered classrooms and student centered classrooms. I just loved this class there was so much information to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment